Saturday 10 September 2011

Audience Reactions and Categories

Audience Engagement

I intend for my target audience to be able to relate to my music video by feeling connected through the use of mainly mise-en-scene in props such as costumes for example Nike wear and money which all relate to the hip-hop culture and music. The use of micro-elements connects with the lyrics of the song and use a narrative which applies to the song which will gain the attention of my target audience and other masses. I believe that my target audience will think that my artist is boastful, rich, and urban because of the way he portrays himself in the video by having the money to order people around while wearing jewellery and designer wear. The audiences then gain a respective that the artist is of hip-hop subculture as many hip-hop artists tend to show of their wealth and dress urban by wearing hoodies and baggy jeans which is a common value in hip-hop music and subculture.

I wish for the video to gain a positive reaction from all masses as I wish for the to feel as if they can relate to the artist for example the backgrounds shown in the video of estates some may be able to relate to this because they grew up or live their, this causing a paradox. This attracts the audience towards the video a they can understand he doesn’t live an impossible lifestyle which they can’t. Theodore Adorno’s states that masses are passive and uncritical, I want my target audience to be passive as I wish for my target audience and other masses to consume my artist’s music becoming a fan and generating sales by buying his album making him a successful music industry artist. Although according to Dick Hebdige’s theory some masses will be critical of the album thus creating fewer sales as some may not agree with the music being displayed.

Audience expectations

My target audience’s expectations based on the genre being Hip-Hop is that they will expect my artist’s music video to contain content of hip-hop for example dance, graffiti, rap, urban fashion, and female magnetism.  These are the main values in the hip-hop subculture and music, by using all of these values in y music I will exceed all my target audiences expectations thus the recognising my artist as a representative of Hip-Hop.

I believe that I am following all the generic convention suited to my genre and that my video follows Goodwin’s theory. The main conventions to Hip-Hop I rapping ands mise-en-scene as Hip-Hop artists must at all times must be shown rapping or heard rapping to the beat of the song. When seen on screen the artist must wear urban wear which is part of the Hip-Hop subculture mainly if they want to be recognised as a Hip-Hop artist for example Nike tracksuits, Gucci, baseball caps, ect.  My music video will follow all of Goodwin’s theory although will not use strong uses of voyeurism as my music video will show two attractive young woman who create sexual magnetism towards male audiences towards masses by appearance and not by costume as they will be fully dressed and will not dance in any voyeuristic way. My intertexual reference will be my use of the word ‘Youth’ in the graffiti wall which is shown in the music video and on the album cover.

Audience Foreknowledge

The knowledge my audience will have about my artist before watching his video is that his name is MC Real thus audiences automatically knowing he is of the Hip-Hop genre a MC means someone who rhymes fast altering their voice to suit rhyme of the music in the background this is known as rapping.

Audience identification

My audience will able to relate to my artist’s music video by many ways through different micro-elements. Locations are a main one as my artist is seen rapping behind a graffiti wall as graffiti is an art of the hip-hop subculture. Secondly the narrative is about my artist employing a hitman to kill someone, as the hitman does the task he is tricked and ends up only being paid £5 for killing someone and the my artist keeps all the money for himself. Lastly the costumes are of great importance as my target audience will be able to relate to the music video because of the costumes worn as they are similar to the outfits worn of those of the Hip-Hop subculture.

My target audience will feel that my artist is accessible towards Richard Dyer paradoxes. My artists will be more ordinary than extraordinary for consumers as it will become easier for my audience to relate to my artist. I will do this by using the same locations and costumes my target audience live and wear to apply to my artist so they will feel he is more ordinary and comes from a similar background as them thus creating a connection. They will also feel that he is extraordinary due to the narrative and the brand colouring and jewellery he appears in the music video.

The second paradox is that the artist must be simultaneously in video present and absent for the consumer. My artist will be present in the video as websites such as Youtube will allow my consumers to view my artist whenever they feel free. Although at the same time he will be absent as the audience will hardly see him in real life only at events.

Audience Placement

The way I am going specifically target my audience in my music video is by making my artist wearing clothing which is from of urban style and relating for consumers as this in my opinion is the main fashion right now and is more relatable than the rest.

1 comment:

  1. You have considered your audience reaction and thought about how you will achieve it, thorugh the use of media techniques. ensure that your analysis of the success of your video is able to measure the impact against your intentions.

    ReplyDelete